[ovs-discuss] openvswitch_mod: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu May 26 15:55:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 05:46:15PM +0200, Daniel Philip wrote:
> I get the following message when I try to run openvswitch using "/sbin/insmod
> ./datapath/linux-2.6/openvswitch_mod.ko"
>
> insmod: error inserting './datapath/linux-2.6/openvswitch_mod.ko': -1
> Operation not permitted
>
> Hence, I tried dmesg | test and it shows the following message:
>
> openvswitch_mod: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
>
> Could anyone please let me know what should I be doing to avoid this?

I imagine that you built against some kernel version other than the
one that is running.

Run "modinfo" on openvswitch_mod.ko and on a module built for the
running kernel, e.g.:

% /sbin/modinfo openvswitch_mod.ko
% /sbin/modinfo /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/bridge/bridge.ko

Compare the "vermagic" lines output by the two commands.  If they
differ, then Open vSwitch was built for the wrong kernel.