[ovs-discuss] Migration with Open vSwith

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri May 27 01:36:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Francis Margelidon
<Francis.Margelidon at callide.fr> wrote:
> I have a problem when I migrate a virtual machine from one xen to another xen. If I tag the port of the vm for example I make a ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vif1.0 tag=1 and then I make xm migrate vm1 xen2 --live. The vm1 on the xen2 has no vlan tag. If someone have an idea to configure vlan in the vm1.cfg or to persist the config during the migration.

Essentially what you need is a distributed vswitch that tracks the
movement of VMs and applies the appropriate configuration on each
individual hypervisor.  Open vSwitch exposes the remote management
interfaces necessary to support such a use case but it is not
inherently a distributed vswitch.  For that, you would need a central
controller to orchestrate the policy.  Such a controller could be
built on top of Nox.