[ovs-discuss] error message with connection to openflow controller

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri May 27 16:20:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 04:10:01PM +0500, ahmad numan wrote:
> Thanks for your response. the exact error is
>
>  |WARN|system at dp0: failed to delete flow (No such file or directory)
> tunnel00000000:in_port0002:vlan65535:pcp0 mac00:21:85:6f:89:d10

This isn't related to anything that NOX did.  It is Open vSwitch
reporting an internal error.  (However, it's not a serious problem,
and unless it shows up at a high rate in your logs you can safely
ignore it.)

> I configured ovs-vswitchd and added ports to br0. Then run the ovs-openflowd
> to talk to NOX controller.

If you had read the ovs-openflowd manpage, you would have seen this:

       For a more powerful alternative to ovs-openflowd, see
       ovs-vswitchd(8).  Do not run both daemons at the same time.

If you had read the ovs-vswitchd manpage, you would have seen this:

       ovs-vswitchd provides all the features of ovs-openflowd, and
       more.  Do not run both daemons at the same time.

If you had read INSTALL.OpenFlow, you would have seen this:

	The ovs-vsctl "set-controller" command can also be used in
	conjunction with ovs-vswitchd to set the controller for one or
	more bridges.  We recommend using OpenFlow in this manner and
	in this case you should not run ovs-openflowd.