[ovs-discuss] Openvswitch performance problem

Jose Luis Franco Arza jlfarza15 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:03:42 UTC 2011

I am using the kernel version of OpenVswitch following the instructions
explained in the installation file. First of all installing the module, then
adding the datapath, the interfaces and finally executing the ovs-openflowd
command with the datapath and the ip of the nox controller to stablish the
connection.
When I tried to test the OpenVswitch I just stopped the nox controller
process and I installed the following entry in the flow table:

sudo ovs-ofctl add-flow dp1 "in_port=1 nw_src=* nw_dst=* idle_timeout=500
action=output:2"
May 27 21:46:27|00191|ofp_util|INFO|normalization changed ofp_match,
details:
May 27 21:46:27|00192|ofp_util|INFO| pre: wildcards=  0x3820fe  in_port=
1  dl_src=00:00:00:00:00:00  dl_dst=00:00:00:00:00:00  dl_vlan=    0
dl_vlan_pcp=  0  dl_type=     0  nw_tos=   0  nw_proto=   0  nw_src=
0  nw_dst=         0  tp_src=    0  tp_dst=    0
May 27 21:46:27|00193|ofp_util|INFO|post: wildcards=  0x3ffffe  in_port=
1  dl_src=00:00:00:00:00:00  dl_dst=00:00:00:00:00:00  dl_vlan=    0
dl_vlan_pcp=  0  dl_type=     0  nw_tos=   0  nw_proto=   0  nw_src=
0  nw_dst=         0  tp_src=    0  tp_dst=    0

Every packet comming from port one would go out by the port 2. After that I
started the pktgen program to generate the traffic and I did several
experiments changing the packet rate and the results obtained were the ones
of the graphics I attached.
The only difference could be the line I commented in the connmgr.c file, but
I also tried few experiments without it commented and the results were the
same.
You told that you were able to forward around 200,000 flows/sec through the
OpenVSwitch, didn't you?Were you changing also the udp port per packet or
another field?though that shouldn't have any repercussion, no?

Thank you for your help,

Regards