[ovs-discuss] RFC: RedHat net-scripts for Open vSwitch

Alexey I. Froloff raorn at altlinux.org
Tue Nov 1 11:31:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 09:07:32AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Before submitting patch to openvswitch, I'd like to test it more
> > throughly.  If you're brave enough, you can join.
> Did you get any feedback?
Nope.  Either these scripts work fine or no one tried it ;-)

> Do you think that these scripts are ready to incorporate into
> OVS?
- Why you software called "beta"?
- Coz it's beta than nothin'!

These scripts are fine when you want to configure bridges at boot
time.  However, if you do manual ifup/ifdown for particular
interfaces, strange things may happen.  For example, doing ifdown
on a bridge will not set ports (eth*) to down and doing ifup on a
bridge will not add ports (eth*) to this bridge.  I've read
RedHat's ifup-eth/ifdown-eth scripts and believe that this
behavior is compatible with standard bridges (TYPE=Bridge).

Still, this is "better than nothing" and can be included, but a
couple of lines must be added to README.RHEL and I'm not good at
writing docs ;-)  Maybe my previous message (with some
additions/corrections) can be added?

P.S. Your maillist software behaves strange.  When I'm in Cc:
field I don't receive message for a list, only one personal
message.  I am filtering messages for lists by List-Id: header
and this behavior breaks threads for me.  Is it configurable?

--
Regards,    --
Sir Raorn.   --- http://thousandsofhate.blogspot.com/