[ovs-discuss] Query regarding arp packet

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Nov 1 16:45:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 09:58:16PM -0700, junaid khalid wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 01:36:33AM -0700, junaid khalid wrote:
> > > I have an issue regarding the ARP packet. I am generating an arp request
> > > from my controller with the source Mac address same as of my NIC. I
> > didn't
> > > receive its reply on the controller even though my machine receives the
> > > reply packet of my requests which are destined to the mac of my NIC.  But
> > > when i use some other source mac address ,i recevie its reply on the
> > > controller. Is it a possible BUG or is there something wrong with my
> > > configuration
> >
> > Can you be more specific about what you're doing?  When you say that
> > you are generating an ARP request, do you mean that the controller is
> > sending it directly from its NIC, or that the controller is sending it
> > via a "packet_out" request sent to some OpenFlow switch?  What's the
> > destination of the ARP?  Is in-band control configured?  Is just one
> > OpenFlow switch involved or multiple?  Do you see the ARP being
> > processed at its destination and the reply being sent from that
> > destination, i.e. where does the reply get dropped if anywhere?  etc.
> >

> I am using single openflow switch, both controller and the switch are on
> the same machine. I am sending an arp request to next hop router(which is
> not an openflow router) via packet_out. I didn't receive its reply on the
> controller even though my machine receives it. I can see the reply
> packet(destined to the MAC of my NIC) in wireshark.

Is in-band control turned on for the controller?  Is the controller
connecting over TCP or SSL or a Unix domain socket?

Can you show me the output from "ovs-dpctl dump-flows" for the ARP
reply?

Could you try running the ARP reply packet through "ofproto/trace" to
show how it gets processed through the flow table?