[ovs-discuss] how to install ovs with openflow on Xenserver?

Ramana Reddy gtvrreddy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 06:47:42 UTC 2011

The new OVS 1.1.1 and later require at least Xenserver 5.6 Fp1 and above.
And the installation procedure mentioned in OVS 1.0.0 and previous is
slightly diffrent from OVS 1.1.1 and above.

The instructions mentioned in INSTALL.XENSERVER ( for OVS-1.1.1) are:

**
VERSION = <Open vSwitch version>
<openvswitch version> is the version number that appears in the
    name of the Open vSwitch tarball, e.g. 0.90.0.

*Observation:* This is clear.

KERNEL_NAME=<Xen Kernel name>
 <Xen Kernel name> is the name of the Xen Kernel,
    e.g. kernel-xen or kernel-NAME-xen. By convention, the name
    starts with "kernel-" and ends with "-xen".
    This can be obtained by executing
        'rpm -q --queryformat "%{Name}" kernel.*xen'
    with the "kernel-" stripped out using  sed 's/kernel-//'
    e.g. kernel-NAME-xen => NAME-xen

*Observation:* This is not clear, and it seems that no kernel in Xenserver
starts with kernel-xen or kernel-NAME-xen, and the command  'rpm -q
--queryformat "%{Name}" kernel.*xen'  is not giving proper
output. The instructions may work for xen.  I just mentioned "xen" after
verifying the spec file, and it was
working fine.

 KERNEL_VERSION=<Xen Kernel version>
 KERNEL_FLAVOR=<Xen Kernel flavor(suffix) >

*Observation:* These two are clear.

I will recheck tomorrow with Xenserver 6.0 beta release with new OVS-1.2.2
and let you know more if the ordinary
procedure wouldn't work.

Thanks,
Ramana Reddy.