[ovs-discuss] Adding Queues to an ovs-openflowd

Tahir Rauf tahir.rauf1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:52:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to add queues to an ovs-openflowd instance for
QoS functionality. But according to this[1] discussion (and my
findings), ovs-openflowd doesn't support queues. Is that right?
In my opinion, it is right. The ovs-vsctl utility, which creates queues, is
for the configuration of ovs-vswitchd. It is a high level interface to
ovs-vswitchd configuration database. You can't use it with ovs-openflowd.

Does it mean that I cannot create an OVS instance controlled by an OpenFlow
controller and capable of queue customization?
I think that you still can do this. You can use ovs-vswitchd which can be
configured to connect to one or more external OpenFlow controllers such as
NOX. For example, after running 'vswitchd' daemon, use the following
command for connecting to controller
*./ovs-vsctl set-controller br0 tcp:IP-address of controller:port.*
For details, you can see the "OpenFlow Controller Connectivity" part of
ovs-vsctl man pages.

Regards
Tahir Rauf

can be configured to connect a given bridge to one or more external
 OpenFlow
       controllers, such as NOX.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add queues to an ovs-openflowd instance for QoS
> functionality. But according to this[1] discussion (and my findings),
> ovs-openflowd doesn't support queues. Is that right? Is there any
> turnaround for this? Does it mean that I cannot create an OVS instance
> controlled by an OpenFlow controller and capable of queue customization?
>

> Best.
>
> [1] http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2011-May/005169.html

Tahir Rauf