[ovs-discuss] Behaviour of OVS for VLAN id 0.

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri Nov 18 00:29:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:31:49AM -0800, Jesse Gross wrote:
>> Some drivers handle priority tagged packets specially (generally
>> because they do something with DCB) and don't pass the tag onto the
>> network stack at all, so OVS never has a chance to see it.
>
> I didn't know this, is it still true with "fixed" 3.x drivers?  Should
> we document it?

I know that at least ixgbe has this problem in the lastest version of
Linux but I'm not sure about other drivers.  I think it might be
possible to just drop the check because recent kernels actually handle
priority tagged packets better - they will send them to a vlan 0
device if it exists but otherwise ignore the tag.