[ovs-discuss] vswitch info

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Nov 28 17:57:44 UTC 2011

Open vSwitch does not have a builtin way to notify a physical switch
through any protocol specific to physical switches that a VM has
started up.

Open vSwitch does have the OVSDB protocol that can be used to monitor
VM startup.  If a physical switch were to learn to speak this
protocol, it could use it.  If a helper daemon were added to OVS that
monitored VM startup using OVSDB, then that daemon could notify the
physical switch using any appropriate protocol.