[ovs-discuss] Openvswitch and Linux containers

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Sat Oct 1 03:18:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Aishwarya <aishu85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jesse,
>
> So I did the following:
> 1. Started openvswitch on the host.
> 2. Created a bridge and interface to attach the container to, and started
> the containers. The containers are able to communicate with the host using
> ovs.
> 3. Now, I am starting vms within the container. So, before this I am
> creating another bridge within the container to attach the vms to, and also
> trying to create tap interfaces for the vms to add to teh bridge, as I would
> do usually without containers. But I get the following error:
>
> Sep 30 19:57:50|00002|stream_unix|ERR|/tmp/stream-unix.25326.0: connection
> to openvswitch_necessaryfiles_kernel465/ovs_database/db.sock failed:
> Connection refused
>
> I think vsctl is not able to connect to the database socket. If I run the
> exact same command from the  base default container where I started
> openvswitch, I do not get this error. The container is other wise able to
> get to the directory openvswitch_necessaryfiles_kernel465/ovs_database.  Do
> you have any idea what could be wrong?

You should only create one instance of OVS in the entire system.  This
is exactly analogous to the setup used in any other virtualization
system, such as KVM or Xen.  Please look at those for background on
switching for virtualization.

Regardless, I'm assuming that the reason why OVS cannot find the
database socket is because the database server is not running in the
container.