[ovs-discuss] question about establishing channel between controller/switch

Mike Larson belisarius2000 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 06:04:26 UTC 2011

Hello,

I've set up the open vswitch (1.2.2) according to INSTALL.Linux and added
the controller:

> ovs-vsctl set-controller br0 10.0.1.233:6633

Such that:

>ovs-vsctl show
14a68698-6803-4c69-b924-f65e9e7fe669
    Bridge "br0"
        Controller "10.0.1.233:6633"
        Port "vif1.0"
            Interface "vif1.0"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
        Port "eth1"
            Interface "eth1"

At this point shouldn't the switch attempt to connect to the controller?
I've sniffed traffic (using tshark) on br0 and eth1 and see no traffic being
sent by the switch over port 6633 to the controller.

I thought I read in the specs that the switch initiates the connection to
the controller. Is there an additional configuration step that I need to set
up for the switch? thanks for any help

Mike