[ovs-discuss] How to use Click with OVS

Hamid Farhadi hamid.farhadi.nsc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 03:28:48 UTC 2011

many thanks for your follow up. my answers inline:

On 10/16/11 3:30 AM, Jesse Gross wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Hamid Farhadi
> <hamid.farhadi.nsc at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Thank you very much Jesse,
>>
>> any command you wanna see the output please?
>> My environment:
>> Ubuntu 10.10 2.6.35-30-generic inside a VMware Fusion. actually I am testing
>> on this single machine. my route table is empty and I am doing everything on
>> L2. I mean I do not use ARP/IP. I just set destination MAC directly on the
>> packet using Click and send it over an interface. this is my simple click
>> configuration file that starts the loop:
> And what else is on this network?

Actually, nothing. only another VM with a Click installation and I use
it as a packet generator.

>> FromDevice(eth0) ->  Queue ->  ToDevice(tap1);
> Well there's presumably another half to this, plus the OVS
> configuration which you are leaving out.

yes, this is another half. I receive the packet from the second port of
the OVS(i.e. tap2) and forward it out of the box back to the packet
generator:

FromDevice(tap2) ->  Queue ->  ToDevice(eth0);

and ovs-vsctl show:
da92ebd2-a24b-4675-bae2-3f473270e9a3
     Bridge "br0"
         Port "tap2"
             Interface "tap2"
                 type: internal
         Port "br0"
             Interface "br0"
                 type: internal
         Port "tap1"
             Interface "tap1"
                 type: internal

Also, "ovs-vsctl list interface" and "ovs-vsctl list port" and "ip
address" command outputs are attached.

>> Also, one time I got the this message in dmesg: "Dead loop on virtual device
>> tap1, fix urgently"
>>
>> this message is occurs when a virtual device's hard_start_xmit() function
>> tries to transmit a packet using itself as output device.
> What version of OVS are you using?  If it's an old one then maybe it
> doesn't have the loop prevention, which would invalidate what I said
> before.
>
> But what I was really saying before is that this is something that you
> need to debug yourself.  I think it's pretty clearly an environmental
> issue and seeing as you know everything about your environment and I
> know nothing, you need to be the one investigating.
well, I am using this:
http://openvswitch.org/releases/openvswitch-1.2.2.tar.gz
Should I try the git sources?

BTW, this is broken. to whom should I report pls? :
http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/ovsman.cgi?page=utilities%2Fovs-discover.8

Hamid