[ovs-discuss] n_actions in add_flow() and check_ofp_message_array()

Ivan Zazulyak ivanz at toroki.com
Tue Oct 18 13:23:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am a little bit new at the OpenVSwitch project.
I tried to find the answer in the discuss Archives, but didn't succeed.

So, I am using a source code from a head of WDP branch and have a
question regarding to the number of actions, stored in the
wdp_flow_put::n_actions structure member.

This member is set in the add_flow() function and described in comments
as number of actions in the flow.
But in fact it is calculated by the check_ofp_message_array() function
as a number of 8-byte blocks (slots).

An action could occupy several slots, e.g currntly the
ofp_action_dl_addr action structure requires 2 ones.

Hereby are my conclusions:
- n_action should be always treated as number of slots, not actual
number of actions
- application is responsible for parsing actions, based on the type of
action and it's length

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan