[ovs-discuss] Using unix sockets for controller communication

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Oct 18 15:59:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 02:25:46PM +0900, Jari Sundell wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 02:59:43PM +0900, Jari Sundell wrote:
> >> - I still have to set disable-in-band despite the controller being on
> >> a unix socket. Not sure if that was due to me having set tcp:127.0.0.1
> >> prior to testing.
> >
> > In-band control should only get triggered if you have a manager
> > configured (e.g. with "ovs-vsctl set-manager") with a TCP or SSL type,
> > or if you have an in-band controller configured. ?(What do "ovs-vsctl
> > list manager" and "ovs-vsctl list controller" print?)

[...]
> Tried restarting the daemon so that no tcp controllers had been set
> during the run, and still the issue arises.

Can you describe the issue, actually?  So far you've just referenced a
message in the archives.  I don't understand what problem you are
seeing.

When I configure a unix: controller myself, I don't see any in-band
control flows set up, so I don't know how disable-in-band would make a
difference.

> >> - The whitelist string comparison seems to encounter some issues when
> >> the prefix used to compile ovs contains double slashes, requiring us
> >> to insert an additional slash when setting the controller. E.g.
> >> 'unix:/usr/share/foo//ovs/var/run/openvswitch/br0.controller', which
> >> can crop up when using scripts to compile, etc.
> >
> > It would be a good idea to fix the scripts, but here's a revised patch
> > that works around that.
>
> -            if (equal_pathnames(c->target, whitelist)) {
> +            if (!equal_pathnames(c->target, whitelist)) {
>
> Except for that small fix, it works nicely.

Thanks.  I applied that fix and pushed this to master.