[ovs-discuss] building OVS as Debian packages

Brandon Heller brandonh at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 27 20:41:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 06:55:34PM -0700, Brandon Heller wrote:
> > I'd like to build Debian packages for OVS that work with a custom kernel.
> > see that these are built already for stock Ubuntu kernels at
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openvswitch and for Ubuntu natty at
> > http://openvswitch.org/releases/binaries/1.2.2.10448/natty_amd64/
>
> The description of the openvswitch-datapath-source package says:
>
>    This package provides the Open vSwitch datapath module source code
>    that is needed by openvswitch-switch.  The kernel module can be built
>    from it using module-assistant or make-kpkg.  README.Debian in this
>    package provides further instructions.
>
> README.Debian in that package says:
>
>    Open vSwitch for Debian
>    ----------------------
>
>    * How do I build this module the Debian way?
>
>        - Building with module-assistant:
>
>            $ module-assistant auto-install openvswitch-datapath
>          or
>            $ m-a a-i openvswitch-datapath
>
>          If kernel source or headers are in a non-standard directory, add
>          the option -k /path/to/kernel/source with the correct path.
>
>        - Building with make-kpkg
>
>            $ cd /usr/src/
>            $ tar jxvf openvswitch.tar.bz2
>            $ cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.26
>            $ make-kpkg --added-modules=openvswitch modules
>
>        - Building without make-kpkg
>
>            $ cd /usr/src/
>            $ tar jxvf openvswitch.tar.bz2
>            $ cd modules/openvswitch
>            $ fakeroot debian/rules kdist_image
>
>          If you run this as root, fakeroot is not needed.
>
>     -- Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com>, Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:51:28 -0700
>
> The description of the openvswitch-datapath-dkms package says:
>
>    This package provides the Open vSwitch datapath module source code
>    that is needed by openvswitch-switch.  DKMS can built the kernel
>    module from it.
>
> If you happen to forget and install openvswitch-switch without a kernel
> module, then at install time it should print:
>
>    Module has probably not been built for this kernel.  Install the
>    openvswitch-datapath-source package, then read
>    /usr/share/doc/openvswitch-datapath-source/README.Debian
>
> What can we do to make this easy to understand?

These instructions are easy to understand, if you know where to look in the
source.

I had looked for an INSTALL.Debian file next to the other INSTALL.x files
and didn't see one.  I glanced for this in the openvswitch/debian dir and
didn't see anything that obviously had the instructions (and now I know
these are for specific packages - running 'find' with a wildcard in the
front would have found these but I didn't think of that).

And in INSTALL.Linux, the first paragraph ends in:

"You may also build Debian packages by
running "dpkg-buildpackage".

So is dpkg-buildpackage a 4th supported way to invoke a package build?

I think a small INSTALL.Debian at the top level that points to the
openvswitch-datapath-source
readme would have helped.

Thanks,
-b