[ovs-discuss] Question about openvswitch kernel module

Voravit T. voravit at kth.se
Fri Oct 28 23:25:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to do some experiment with Open vSwitch kernel module.
I follow instruction as per INSTALL.Linux to compile and start the
switch with two ports and add one flow entry that forwards from one port
to the other.
When I use ovs-ofctl dump-flows I can see the flow entry that I add but
when I use ovs-dpctl dump-flows it gives no output (please see second
section in the attached file).
I am wondering if this is normal or it could be some strange behaviour
due to the way I have compiled the source code.
By the way, is there a test tool that allows me to manage the Open
vSwitch kernel module directly without running the database server and
the ovs-vswicthd daemon?
(I just want to test the forwarding performance).

In addition, I noticed that there are 255 tables in my system with only
the first table (0:classifier) is in used. Is there some way to remove
the tables that I don't use?
I also noticed that there is a different flow table structure in Open
vSwitch kernel module, using a kind of an array structure (flex_array).
The old OpenFlow reference kernel module implementation uses a
combination of two lookup tables; one hash and one linear.
Does anyone know if there is any performance comparison between these
types of lookup structures?

Best regards,
Voravit Tanyingyong