[ovs-discuss] newbie vswitchd question: bridge in ovsdb vs. bridge in ovs-ofctl?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Oct 31 17:17:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:38:26AM -0700, Rob Sherwood wrote:
> So, this all seems correct, but when I issue a command using
> ovs-ofctl, it can't find the bridge with the same name:
>
> root at ubuntu:~# ovs-ofctl show switch1
> ovs-ofctl: switch1 is not a bridge or a socket
>
> which makes sense because the corresponding unix socket does not exist:
> root at ubuntu:~# ls -l /usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/
> total 4
> srwx------ 1 root root 0 2011-10-30 10:15 db.sock
> srw------- 1 root root 0 2011-10-30 10:15 ovsdb-server.2444.ctl
> srw------- 1 root root 0 2011-10-30 10:16 ovs-vswitchd.2449.ctl
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 2011-10-30 10:16 ovs-vswitchd.pid

That should work without any special effort.  I wonder whether your
ovs-ofctl is looking for the software in the same directory where
ovs-vswitchd created it.  If, for example, you had some version of
ovs-ofctl in your $PATH that was compiled with a rundir different from
the running ovs-vswitchd, then that would explain the problem.