[ovs-discuss] system at dp0: execute 0, 1 failed (Invalid argument) on packet

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:56:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 20:02, Jesse Gross <jesse at nicira.com> wrote:

> That's the cause of the problem.  OVS is rejecting the packet out
> because it is being sent from an out-of-range port.  It's not entirely
> clear to me whether this is allowed by the OpenFlow spec and should be
> supported.  In this case, I believe that OFPP_NONE is the correct port
> to use, although OVS will not like that either.

Other datapath implementations definitely allow the in_port on a packet_out
to be set to OFPP_CONTROLLER.  The spec is silent on valid in_port values,
which I take to mean that anything is legal - this is especially important
when you want to make sure the output: IN_PORT action works properly on
other flows that might be in your table (e.g. if an output action is set to
IN_PORT, I would expect this packet back at the controller - with the
appropriate reason field set - and more importantly, I would expect to NOT
get a packet back due to another output: OFPP_CONTROLLER action).

--
Nick