[ovs-discuss] Scalability Questions in High-Density Virtualisation Environments

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Wed Sep 7 16:09:36 UTC 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Nicky Fatr wrote:

> I don't think that TRILL/802.1AQ L2 over L2 is a good option for large
> scale deployment. L2 over L3 instead is more scalable, eliminating
> comlexity of physical network.
>
> maybe we can expect L2 over UDP in some future release, for UDP is
> more friendly than GRE in some networking configuration.

You can already do L2-over-L3 with CAPWAP.  It doesn't support a configurable context identifier (key), but a patch has been provided by Valient Gough and Simon Horman that adds it.  We're also looking at supporting VXLAN, which was recently announced:

	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mahalingam-dutt-dcops-vxlan-00

--Justin