[ovs-discuss] Flood test with xen/openvswitch

Sébastien Riccio sr at swisscenter.com
Fri Sep 9 18:05:00 UTC 2011

On 09.09.2011 19:54, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 07:47:52PM +0200, S?bastien Riccio wrote:
>
> That's expected behavior.  When new flows constantly pop up, it takes
> CPU time to decide what to do with them, and eventually you run out of
> CPU time.  This will be true of any kind of smart software bridge,
> including the Linux kernel bridge, but it's more obviously visible
> with Open vSwitch because the CPU cost gets credited to a specific
> process instead of to just a vague "system time" percentage, and
> because the cost of a kernel/user transition is higher than when
> everything happens exclusively in the kernel
>
> (That's why I've been paying more attention to the memory usage
> report.  ovs-vswitchd shouldn't grow without bound.)

Okay thanks it's clear. I'm trying to find a way to be nearly sure that
on a xen host if
a customer vm gets hacked and starts flooding the network like hell, it
doesn't
render the whole host unreachable (That's what happened the first time I
tried
this test.)
The first step for me was to know what was the expected behavior of
openvswitch
when this happens and then find a way to prevent it.

Kind regards,
Sébastien