[ovs-discuss] Regarding the kernel space Table Vs User Space

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Sep 12 15:06:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 02:57:01PM +0530, Ramana Reddy wrote:
> 1. How many tables are there in OVS?

There is one in the OVS 1.2 software switch.
In the (not yet released) OVS 1.3 software switch, there will be 255.

> 2. What is the main difference ( in terms of table structure) between kernel
> space table Vs user space table?

The user space table contains OpenFlow flows.
The kernel table contains exact-match flows.

>     What are files some one will look at for user space table.

What?

> 3. Why we need more than one table, only because of performance vs space, or
> any other reason.

In the software switch, there is no need for more than one table.
Multiple tables make sophisticated flow tables easier to understand and
easier to optimize.