[ovs-discuss] Limit packets per second on a port

Sébastien Riccio sr at swisscenter.com
Thu Sep 15 20:54:06 UTC 2011

On 15.09.2011 22:47, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:36:43PM +0200, S?bastien Riccio wrote:
>> I'm still working on a topic I've already discussed before: I just
>> dont want a VM to be able for example
>> to be able to udp flood at a maximum rate  and bring the whole thing
>> down and unresponsive.
> Oh, OK.  For that, you really want to limit the maximum of flows, not
> the maximum number of packets, or, even better, just ensure that there
> is fairness among ports.
>
> I think Jesse's patch to improve this behavior should come along soon.

Ok, yes, you told me about this patch. I was just digging a bit deeper
trying to figure if there was another way to do it :) It's a quite
important issue for service providers that hosts customers on virtual
machines. Any of them could, even unintentionally (hacked vm), tear down
the whole host. That's why I thought about limiting packets rate to
prevent this.

Thanks,
Sébastien