[ovs-discuss] How to run ovs-vswitchd as non-root

Aishwarya aishu85 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:20:04 UTC 2011

Hi Ben,

It seems like vsctl is also creating a local interface called br0. I
confirmed this by doing an ifconfig br0 before this command and after.
Before the vsctl add-br br0 command, ifconfig br0 says "no device found",
but after the command it allows me to assign an ipaddress to br0, and does
not give the error anymore.

Also, as you said, not running vswitchd as root is what was causing issues
when vsctl was trying to create a bridge. the br0.msgmt and snoop files were
not getting created.

Thanks,
Aish