[ovs-discuss] STP Support

Luca Prete luca.prete at garr.it
Mon Apr 23 20:21:56 UTC 2012

it can be enabled with

*ovs-vsctl -- clear Bridge br0 sflow*

*802.1D Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)*

Configure bridge *br0* to participate in an 802.1D spanning tree:

*ovs-vsctl set Bridge br0 stp_enable=true*

Set the bridge priority of *br0* to 0x7800:

*ovs-vsctl set Bridge br0 other_config:stp-priority=0x7800*

Set the path cost of port *eth0* to 10:

*ovs-vsctl set Port eth0 other_config:stp-path-cost=10*

Deconfigure STP from above:

*ovs-vsctl clear Bridge br0 stp_enable*

In 1.0 specs there's written:
*Spanning Tree
*OpenFlow switches may optionally support 802.1D Spanning Tree Protocol.
Those switches that do support it are expected to process all 802.1D packets
locally before performing
ow lookup. A switch that implements STP must
set the OFPC_STP bit in the 'capabilities' eld of its
OFPT_FEATURES_REPLY message.
A switch that implements STP must make it available on all of its physical
ports, but it need not implement it on virtual ports (e.g. OFPP_LOCAL).
Port status, as specied by the spanning tree protocol, is then used to
limit
packets forwarded to the OFP_FLOOD port to only those ports along the
spanning
tree. Port changes as a result of the spanning tree are sent to the
controller
via port-update messages. Note that forward actions that specify the
outgoing
port or OFP_ALL ignore the port status set by the spanning tree
protocol. Packets