[ovs-discuss] Installing Open vSwitch on Ubuntu 12.04

Evan Fraser evan.fraser at trademe.co.nz
Fri Aug 24 19:54:15 UTC 2012

Not sure this will help, but in case...

These are the install steps I take on Ubuntu 12.04 to install openvswitch and ensure that the bridge module doesn't load on boot preventing brcompat from loading.

modprobe -r bridge
apt-get install openvswitch-switch openvswitch-controller openvswitch-brcompat
echo "blacklist bridge" > /etc/modprobe.d/bridge.conf
echo "BRCOMPAT=yes" >> /etc/default/openvswitch-switch
/etc/init.d/openvswitch-switch start
apt-get remove ebtables
depmod -a
update-initramfs -u
rm /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/autostart/*

Many of these steps are the same or equivalent to what's listed in that link.

Oh and after every kernel upgrade I also need to use dkms to build and install the ovs kernel module again.

Evan Fraser
Trade Me | Storage Engineer
+64 4 803 2756
+64 22 087 4032