[ovs-discuss] Compatibility with Linux Kernels

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Dec 5 16:34:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 01:13:58AM -0800, Umair Hoodbhoy wrote:
> When building OVS 1.7.1 on Ubuntu 12.10 (Kernel 3.5.0-19), I got the
> following error during 'make':
>
> openvswitch-1.7.1/datapath/linux/datapath.c:42:24: fatal error: asm/system.h:
> No such file or directory
>
> This got me thinking: is 3.5.0-19 even supported? According to the latest
> README of OVS (https://github.com/homework/openvswitch/blob/master/README),
> it is. Here is an excerpt:

The FAQ now says:

Q: What Linux kernel versions does each Open vSwitch release work with?

A: The following table lists the Linux kernel versions against which the
   given versions of the Open vSwitch kernel module will successfully
   build.  The Linux kernel versions are upstream kernel versions, so
   modified Linux kernels modified from the upstream sources may not
   build in some cases even if they are based on a supported version.
   This is most notably true of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) kernels,
   which are extensively modified from upstream.

   Open vSwitch   Linux kernel
   ------------   -------------
       1.4.x      2.6.18 to 3.2
       1.5.x      2.6.18 to 3.2
       1.6.x      2.6.18 to 3.2
       1.7.x      2.6.18 to 3.3
       1.8.x      2.6.18 to 3.4
       1.9.x      2.6.18 to 3.6

   Open vSwitch userspace should also work with the Linux kernel module
   built into Linux 3.3 and later.

   Open vSwitch userspace is not sensitive to the Linux kernel version.
   It should build against almost any kernel, certainly against 2.6.18
   and later.