[ovs-discuss] Problem with VLOG module init

Ahmed Talha Khan auny87 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:46:17 UTC 2012

Its Linux with kernel 2.6.35 on Fedora 14 x86_64 machine. And yes thats
what I though too that only VLOG_DEFINE_THIS_MODULE should do the job as it
creates and the actual module as well as the reference.

I see that it is defined like this

#define VLOG_DEFINE_THIS_MODULE(MODULE)                                 \
        VLOG_DEFINE_MODULE(MODULE);                                     \
        static struct vlog_module *const THIS_MODULE = &VLM_##MODULE

The 2nd line to create a reference works as its not a compile issue. The
linker cries which means that VLOG_DEFINE_MODULE(MODULE) failed to create
the module in the linker section as given by

#define VLOG_DEFINE_MODULE(MODULE)                                      \
        VLOG_DEFINE_MODULE__(MODULE)                                    \
        extern struct vlog_module *vlog_module_ptr_##MODULE;            \
        struct vlog_module *vlog_module_ptr_##MODULE                    \
            __attribute__((section("vlog_modules"))) = &VLM_##MODULE

Any ideas now what might have happened? Could be it some sort of a version
mis-match for the GNU linker "ld"?

--
Regards,
-Ahmed Talha Khan