[ovs-discuss] Running OVS with VLAN tagged ports inside a ESXi host

Endre Karlson endre.karlson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:22:21 UTC 2012

Hi, is this feasable to do? I'm trying to run some servers inside of a ESXi
host that uses a OpenvSwitch with VLAN tagged ports. I've tagged the port
group with 4095 in the ESXi host and then inside the VM I do:
ovs-vsctl add-br br-virtual
ovs-vsctl add-port br-virtual eth1
ovs-vsctl add-port br-virtual vlan61 tag=61 -- set Interface vlan61
type=internal
ifconfig vlan61 172.16.59.X/24

But if I try to get traffic going on the vlan61 interface all I can get
going is L2 traffic, L3 is jammed. And I know there's hosts there that's up
and running because I have 2 physical nodes on the same VLAN using the
method described above and they work perfectly.

Though the funny bit is if I setup the VLAN interface using
vconfig add eth1 61
ifconfig eth1.61 172.16.59.X/24

I can ping other hosts on the VLAN but  not when using OVS?

Endre.