[ovs-discuss] Running OVS with VLAN tagged ports inside a ESXi host

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Dec 17 16:49:42 UTC 2012

Did you go through the following list of suggestions?

Q: VLANs don't work.

A: Many drivers in Linux kernels before version 3.3 had VLAN-related
   bugs.  If you are having problems with VLANs that you suspect to be
   driver related, then you have several options:

       - Upgrade to Linux 3.3 or later.

       - Build and install a fixed version of the particular driver
         that is causing trouble, if one is available.

       - Use a NIC whose driver does not have VLAN problems.

       - Use "VLAN splinters", a feature in Open vSwitch 1.4 and later
         that works around bugs in kernel drivers.  To enable VLAN
         splinters on interface eth0, use the command:

           ovs-vsctl set interface eth0 other-config:enable-vlan-splinters=true

         For VLAN splinters to be effective, Open vSwitch must know
         which VLANs are in use.  See the "VLAN splinters" section in
         the Interface table in ovs-vswitchd.conf.db(5) for details on
         how Open vSwitch infers in-use VLANs.

         VLAN splinters increase memory use and reduce performance, so
         use them only if needed.

       - Apply the "vlan workaround" patch from the XenServer kernel
         patch queue, build Open vSwitch against this patched kernel,
         and then use ovs-vlan-bug-workaround(8) to enable the VLAN
         workaround for each interface whose driver is buggy.

         (This is a nontrivial exercise, so this option is included
         only for completeness.)

   It is not always easy to tell whether a Linux kernel driver has
   buggy VLAN support.  The ovs-vlan-test(8) and ovs-test(8) utilities
   can help you test.  See their manpages for details.  Of the two
   utilities, ovs-test(8) is newer and more thorough, but
   ovs-vlan-test(8) may be easier to use.