[ovs-discuss] OpenVSwitch flow forwarding

Masood Moshref Javadi masood.moshref.j at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 02:28:06 UTC 2012

Thanks for your prompt answer
This is what I understood from the code and your response by now. please
correct me wherever it is wrong.

The kernel module keeps a set of facets of recently matched flows (similar
to exact rules, extractable by ovs-dpctl dump-flows br0) for 5 seconds.
Suppose that this set is empty.
Classifier has multiple tables, each corresponding to a hash of wildcards
of rules (&rules->wc).
When a packet comes, it will first be checked in the kernel, if it is not
there. The classifier goes through all tables, in each table checks if
there is a rule matching the flow (using hashes) (classifier_lookup() in
classsifier.c). Creates the facet. Caches that in the kernel module and
runs it.

Assuming that what I said is correct, I have these questions:
What is the mechanism to find the matched facet in the kernel module
(hashmap) ?
the performance of lookup depends on the number of tables (as all tables
will be checked) and the hashmap in each table. How many tables can we have?
Is there any maximum bound on the number of facets in the kernel module? (I
want to find an upper bound on the number of flows that openvswitch can
handle)

Thanks again
Masoud