[ovs-discuss] Query regarding OVS configuration in OpenSuse Dom0 (Xen Hypervisor)

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Thu Feb 9 17:01:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Mohit Dhingra <mohitdhingras at gmail.com> wrote:
> The question that I was asking regarding monitoring of incoming traffic into
> VMs is, we have one ingress_policing_rate in ovs_vsctl for an interface, but
> there is no egress/outgress policing rate.. Does that mean that it doesn't
> have control over incoming traffic onto VMs?

Egress queuing is possible (and is the most common use case when
applied to a physical interface) - look at the QoS section of the
ovs-vsctl man page.  However, it's unlikely to be particularly useful
when applied to VMs.  It won't reduce link usage at all because the
traffic has already arrived and it's unlikely to reduce CPU usage very
much single QoS is expensive to perform.