[ovs-discuss] VLAN problem on Xenserver OVS and NOX

James Chung jachung2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 02:09:27 UTC 2012

Hi Experts,

Does anyone has this experience to control XenServer OVS with NOX
controller?
I recently setup two OVS on two separate XensServer, and configure two
VLANs on them (vlan100 and vlan200). Without any controller, the VLAN
configuration is working perfectly. The VMs in vlan100 can only talk to
each other, and cannot cross the boundary to talk to VMs in vlan 200. I can
see the vlan tag in dom0 with "ovs-dpctl dump-flows <br>" command.

However, if I run "ovs-vsctl set-controller <tcp:ip of nox controller>" on
each XenServer, let NOX to control both OVS and run simple pyswitch module,
then the vlan won't work, the vlan tag seems disappear.

I use the same NOX to control openflow switch, the vlan is working fine. I
am not sure if I need to run some special module on NOX to enable the vlan
function on OVS or do I miss something here.
Hopefully, someone can share their experience on this.

Thank you very much.

James Chung.