[ovs-discuss] Problems understanding ovs with of support

Luiz Ozaki luiz.ozaki at locaweb.com.br
Thu Feb 23 18:40:05 UTC 2012

Luca,
> - ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth1
> - ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth2
Do you use 2 NIC per Host ? Are they NIC team ?

Maybe use bond ?

ovs-vsctl add-bond br0 bond0 eth1 eth2

> I attached two hosts on ETH1 and ETH2 and, also without using a
> controller acting as a L2 MAC-learning switch, they can ping one each
> other.
>
> How can this be possible? I thought a switch needed the controller to
> work properly as L2 MAC-switch ...
> So, trying to understand what was wrong, I typed
> - ovs-ofctl dump-tables br0
> -ovs-ofctl dump-flows br0

On your dump-flows you should have something like:
cookie=0x0, duration=586260.781s, table=0, n_packets=20102186,
n_bytes=91142249326, priority=0 actions=NORMAL

As the default, action NORMAL do the L2/L3 processing. So no need for a
controller.

I think the L2 mac-learning using a controller is just an example of
what you can do with a controller.

OVS alone should work in most of the cases.

--
Luiz Henrique Ozaki