[ovs-discuss] documentation about setting up GRE tunnel

senthil arumugam hai_senthil at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 18:32:05 UTC 2012

Jesse

Thanks. It works..

-Senthil

________________________________
From: Jesse Gross <jesse at nicira.com>
To: senthil arumugam <hai_senthil at yahoo.com>
Cc: benzwt at gmail.com; pettit at nicira.com; discuss at openvswitch.org
Sent: Fri, January 20, 2012 2:37:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ovs-discuss] documentation about setting up GRE tunnel

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM, senthil arumugam
<hai_senthil at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I tried to setup the same but did not work. The only difference is I have
>directly connected host1 and host2 over one ethernet card.
>

> Host1 (etho)---------------------------------(eth0)Host2
>    10.193.1.1                                  10.193.1.2
>
> I could ping these IP addresses from both hosts
>
> - Created one VM on each host with 10.1.1.10 and 10.1.1.20.
>
> - Created one openvswitch bro on each host and assigned IP 10.193.1.1 (bro on
>host1) and
>   10.193.1.2 (bro on host2)
> - Created GRE tunnels on each host
>     - sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br0 gre0 -- set Interface gre0 type=gre
>     - sudo ovs-vsctl add-port br0 gre0 -- set Interface gre0 type=gre
>

> - -Added ports tap0, gre0 and eth0 to br0 in each host

You shouldn't add the Ethernet interface that the tunneled packet will
egress on to the same bridge as the tunnel port, otherwise you
essentially create a loop.

> Question:
>
> 1. Should I add any vifs for VMS in bro?

Anything you want to be connected to the inside of the tunnel should
be in the same bridge.

> 2. When you ping across VMs, how the switch knows to send it to gre port. Just
>flodding as other l2 ports?

It's a switch port that behaves as any other.

>     If so, should we assign the same vlan to gre0 as applied to tp0.. (
>rightnow, I have added ports with no tag option(default)

The ports should be in the same vlan but it's not necessary to use vlans.