[ovs-discuss] Forcing Switch to Reconnect

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Jan 24 17:12:56 UTC 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Volkan YAZICI wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:22:06 -0800, Ben Pfaff writes:
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 01:53:31PM +0200, Volkan YAZICI wrote:
>>> In the controller I need to schedule restarts, which disconnects the
>>> OVS question: Is it possible to configure OVS to retry connecting every
>>> N seconds?
>>
>> Open vSwitch automatically reconnects after its connection drops.
>
> What is the default delay between retries? Is that something configurable?
> Is there an upper limit on the # of retries?

By default, the backoff starts at 1 second and doubles until it reaches 8 seconds, where it stays until a reconnection.  The maximum can be set with the "max_backoff" column in the Controller table.  (The configurability of this and your datapath id question are both documented in the ovs-vswitchd.conf.db man page.)  It will continue trying to reconnect forever.

--Justin