[ovs-discuss] Need help on extending OVS to monitor/control network devices via SNMP

Giorgio Buffa buffagio+ml at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 15:38:19 UTC 2012

Dear all,
I would like to use Open vSwitch for the monitoring/control of a legacy
data plane (i.e. with no support to OpenFlow). The idea is to extend OVS to
make it an adapter between the OpenFlow protocol (used by the control
plane) and SNMP (exposed by the underlying network devices). I'm evaluating
whether I can use OVS as the base for such adapter.

I've studied the PORTING documentation, and relative interfaces
(lib/netdev-provider.h , lib/dpif-provider.h , ofproto/ofproto-provider.h).
The problem is I cannot figure out how to deploy my own module (the one
which would provide the adaptation layer between OpenFlow and SNMP). In
other words, how do I configure OVS to load/use my module as the Openflow
datapath to be controlled?

Thank you for any hints.

Best regards,
Giorgio Buffa