[ovs-discuss] where is the mac tables when normal L2/L3 processing

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Jul 3 16:28:53 UTC 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 2:12 AM, yue wang wrote:

> it says in ovs-ofctl(8) when flow's action is 'normal',packet will be directed to normal L2/L3 proccessing.
> 1.what is normal L2/L3 proccessing?does this mean ovs forward the packet according a mac tables? if so,and where i can see the mac tables?

It does "normal" L2 learning.  You can see the MAC table with the following command:

	ovs-appctl fdb/show <bridge_name>

The command is described in the ovs-vswitchd man page, but I'll add a FAQ entry about that, since it's not obvious.

> 2.after i installed ovs, i can see there is one record in flow table,it seems that all packets are directed to normal proccessing.does this mean all packets must first go through flow tabls no matter what mode it's woking in(normal/open flow mode)?

That table is always consulted.  If you removed that flow, traffic wouldn't be forwarded (unless you had an OpenFlow controller configured, in which case packets would be sent to it).

--Justin