[ovs-discuss] How to achieve inbound rule using openflow?

YIMIN CHEN ymchen.nbzj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 00:56:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am experimenting with OVS 1.4.2, using openflow entries to control
traffic b/w VMs. VM1 (11.1.1.4) and VM2 (11.1.1.5) connected to OVS
via tap0 (openflow port 2) and tap1 (of port 3).

I am a little confused about how to specify an inbound rule. How can I
specify an openflow entry for VM2 saying allowing incoming pkts to VM2
only allowed on tcp port 80, but not others?
"in_port=3,tp_dst=80,action=normal" will work? To me, it sounds like
saying "If VM2 send a pkt to port 80, allow it", instead of "if VM2
receives a pkt to port 80, allow it". I am a little confused.

Could anyone please clarify for me?

Thanks!
Yimin