[ovs-discuss] How to achieve inbound rule using openflow?

Reid Price reid at nicira.com
Fri Jul 13 01:19:00 UTC 2012

Hi Yimin,

The behavior you describe would emerge from the flows you choose to
utilize, and may not necessarily be a single modification.  One way to
think about this is as a side effect of the flow table being processed a
single time.  Since the matching only occurs on the packet entering
the switch (rather than leaving it), actions which filter based upon
in_port are usually trivial.  There is no native correspondence for output
actions, though it often straightforward to do so.  In this case, you are
relying upon the normal action for forwarding decisions, which spans
the entire bridge.  This probably will not offer you enough granularity to
do what you desire, since AFAIK, you can't say

  priority=100, tp_dst=80, action=NORMAL(all ports)
  priority=50, action=NORMAL(all ports except port 3)

Hope this clarifies.

  -Reid