[ovs-discuss] Is anyone working on OF12+ dissector and upstreaming?

Isaku Yamahata yamahata at valinux.co.jp
Sun Jul 15 07:53:03 UTC 2012

Hi. I'm interested in Wireshark dissector for OpenFlow 1.2+ and
merging it into the wireshark upstream.
Is anyone working on it? I'd like to check the current situation
in order to collaborate and avoid duplicated effort.

As long as I know, there are two implementations available as starting
point.

  https://bitbucket.org/barnstorm/of-dissector
  https://bitbucket.org/barnstorm/ng-of-dissector

The first one supports only OF1.0 which is written in C.
The ng(next generation one) supports OF1.[012], but the code seems
to effectively support only OF1.1. It is written in C++.
I'm a bit worried that C++ usage of ng-of-dissector because wireshark
uses C, not C++. So it might be a blocker for upstream merging.
I'm not sure if wireshark would accept C++ or not, though.

Any comments/opinions?

thanks in advance.
--
yamahata