[ovs-discuss] Topology discovery in ovs

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at inmon.com
Tue Jun 5 04:19:35 UTC 2012

Hi All,

The original question was about L2 topology discovery. One of the differences between sFlow and NetFlow is that sFlow operates at layer 2 (reporting layer 2 interfaces and MAC addresses) and NetFlow typically operates at layer 3 (reporting router (VLAN) interfaces and IP addresses). Consequently, inferring L2 topology from sFlow data is much easier than using NetFlow.

As Robin pointed out, topology inference is a function of the sFlow/NetFlow collector. Inferring L2 topology from sFlow involves examining the sampled packet headers and forwarding paths reported by all the switches in the network, see:

http://blog.sflow.com/2009/05/packet-paths.html

Installing Host sFlow on the hypervisor (http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/) helps topology discovery by exporting virtual machine information (UUID, hostname, MAC addresses) that can be joined with sFlow data from OVS to identify which vNICs are associated with each VM.

Linking the virtual and physical topology topology gets interesting if you use tunneling (GRE, VxLAN etc), but it is possible for an sFlow analyzer to tie the layers together based on sFlow data:

http://blog.sflow.com/2012/05/tunnels.html

There is an inherent limitation in using traffic data to map topology - you can only see links that carry traffic. However, even backup links carry some traffic (STP, LLDP etc.) so it generally isn't much of a problem.

Regards,
Peter