[ovs-discuss] Problem with tap device on Virtualbox

Oliver Francke Oliver.Francke at filoo.de
Tue Jun 12 08:13:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

perhaps I can drop in my couple of line, how I setup a VM with qemu-kvm:
( most things I try to do in userland, need a couple of sudo's, though)

Following is called before qemu-kvm is started ( called via pre_if.sh):

     IF=<argv[0]>
     sudo /sbin/ip tuntap add dev ${IF} mode tap user fcms

then, the same script is called from qemu itself, and does the following
( add_if_sh):

     BRIDGE=<bridge-name>
     VTAG=<vlantag>
     sudo /sbin/ifconfig ${IF} 0.0.0.0 promisc up
     sudo /usr/local/bin/ovs-vsctl add-port ${BRIDGE} ${IF} ${VTAG}
other_config:stp-enable=false

and same script called via "downscript.sh" to deconfigure port:

     sudo /sbin/ip tuntap del dev ${IF} mode tap
     sudo /sbin/ifconfig ${IF} down
     sudo /usr/local/bin/ovs-vsctl del-port ${IF}

qemu is called for network-setup similar to the following:

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm <...a couple of thousands of
parameters...> -device rtl8139,mac=00:F1:70:00:37:00,netdev=vlan0d0
-netdev
type=tap,id=vlan0d0,ifname=tap101i0d0,script=/etc/fcms/add_if.sh,downscript=/etc/fcms/downscript.sh
<...even more parameters...>

Hope it helps ;)

Oliver.