[ovs-discuss] Connect ns-3 simulation with virtual machines

Jørgen Nordmoen nordmoen90 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:55:58 UTC 2012

Hello.

I'm looking for a solution to connect a ns-3[1] simulation to virtual
machines running on two different computers.

To clarify my problem; I want to have one machine running ns-3 simulating a
MANET[2] where all the nodes in the simulation are connected to tap-devices
outside the simulation. On a different machine I want as many virtual
machines as there are nodes and hopefully be able to connect these virtual
machines to the tap-devices of the simulation. What I want to achieve with
this is that the virtual machines communicate with each other through the
ns-3 emulation creating a MANET emulation for all the programs running
inside the virtual machines. The two physical machines will be connected
over a high speed LAN.

A (very) simple drawing might make it clear how this all links together.

    ns-3 server                                         libvirt server
+----------------------+
+-----------------------------+
|                        |                           | +-----+
+------+    |
|   +-------------+    |                           | |Xen1| ...
|XenX|     |
|   |     ns-3    |    |                           | +-----+
|  tap-1 ... tap-X  |
                             LAN

My question is, can this be done with Open vSwitch or with any other
facility found on a modern Linux distribution?