[ovs-discuss] accepting OFPP_CONTROLLER as packet_out.in_port?

Rob Sherwood rob.sherwood at bigswitch.com
Thu Mar 8 16:23:16 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've seen a bunch of mail about issues that controller folks
(particularly using nox) have run into when they send packet_out's
with the in_port field being set to OFPP_CONTROLLER instead of
OFPP_NONE.  In particular, OVS chooses to reject packet_out's of this
form.

Now, I completely agree with Ben and everyone's conclusion that the
packet_out *should* use OFPP_NONE in this case, but I'm sitting at the
ONF's interoperability event and this issue is apparently biting a
bunch of the folks here (particularly those with implementations that
derive from OVS).

I'm wondering if you would be willing to accept a patch to accept both
OFPP_CONTROLLER and OFPP_NONE in this case?  It seems like a straight
forward case of being liberal in what you accept.

Please let me know what you think.  If this is something that's
agreeable to you, then I can look into supplying a patch.

Thanks in advance,

- Rob
.