[ovs-discuss] How to install ovs as a bridge-utils replacement for KVM/libvirt on Ubuntu 12.04

Greg Dahlman gdahlman at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:53:29 UTC 2012

Hi,
I am not great at documentation but I wanted to forward this step by step as it makes it easy to upgrade from bridge-utils to open vswitch on KVM/libvirt hypervisors on Ubuntu 12.04
Feel free to use it however you wish, I am releasing it to the public domain.
How to upgrade to openvswitch on an Ubuntu 12.04 host running libvirt.This is how you can replace the normal bridge-util package in Ubuntu 12.04 with the new Open vswitch soft switch, it is running in compatibility mode but once libvirt has native support it will be trivial to add.This guide is written with the assumption that you have a management interface on a seporate interface than the one that is to be used by guests.If you have ebtables installed remove it# aptitude purge ebtablesDestroy the default libvirt net if virbr0 exists (check with ifconfig -a)# virsh net-destroy default# virsh net-autostart --disable defaultStop libvirt and qemu to make sure they do not bring up the legacy bridge.# service libvirt-bin stop# service qemu-kvm stopInstall Openvswitch from the ubuntu apt repositories# aptitude install openvswitch-switch openvswitch-controller openvswitch-brcompatIf the DKMS module build fails you will need to fix those issues before moving forward Edit the default file for openvswitch-switch to enable the bridge compat# tail -n 1 /etc/default/openvswitch-switchBRCOMPAT=yesRestart the services and make sure they start fine # service openvswitch-switch restart# service openvswitch-controller restartReboot and make sure the brcompat_mod loads# lsmod | grep brcombrcompat_mod 13512 0 openvswitch_mod 83993 1 brcompat_modFor default libvirt compatibility in our environment we need to name the bridge “br0” although this is a virtual switch and not a bridge.Create bridge named “br0”# ovs-vsctl add-br br0Connect bridge “br0” to the physical interface “eth4”# ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth4Add a virtual bridge device named “br10” for untagged vlan 10 traffic on bridge “br0”# ovs-vsctl add-br br10 br0 10Check to see that the bridges exist # ovs-vsctl list-brbr0br10OK our bridge devices exist, lets add some dummy entries in /etc/network/interfaces so that they are “UP” in the eyes of libvirt.We need to edit /etc/network/interfaces to add some entriesauto eth4iface eth4 inet manualup ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 updown ifconfig $IFACE downauto br0iface br0 inet manualup ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 updown ifconfig $IFACE downauto br10iface br10 inet manualup ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 updown ifconfig $IFACE downThese bring up the interfaces with No IP address, now if you run ifconfig -a they should be visible.Once you have a guest up on br0 or br10 you will see a “vnet0” interface.