[ovs-discuss] Support of masking in datapath ...

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Mar 13 21:39:09 UTC 2012

Some masks for the destination MAC are supported.  Heres the description from the ovs-ofctl man page:

       dl_dst=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx/xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
              Matches  an Ethernet destination address specified as 6 pairs of
              hexadecimal digits delimited by colons (e.g. 00:0A:E4:25:6B:B0),
              with  a  wildcard  mask following the slash.  Only the following
              masks are allowed:

              01:00:00:00:00:00
                     Match     only     the     multicast     bit.       Thus,
                     dl_dst=01:00:00:00:00:00/01:00:00:00:00:00   matches  all
                     multicast (including  broadcast)  Ethernet  packets,  and
                     dl_dst=00:00:00:00:00:00/01:00:00:00:00:00   matches  all
                     unicast Ethernet packets.

              fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
                     Match all bits except the multicast bit.  This is  proba‐
                     bly not useful.

              ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
                     Exact match (equivalent to omitting the mask).

              00:00:00:00:00:00
                     Wildcard all bits (equivalent to dl_dst=*.)

You can also do it through a controller if your controller supports NXM.  That's defined in "include/openflow/nicira-ext.h" with the NXM_OF_ETH_DST_W match.

--Justin