[ovs-discuss] Multipath routing

Masoud Moshref Javadi masood.moshref.j at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:08:37 UTC 2012

I just want an example that fills the action part in the following rule:
ovs-ofctl add-flow br0 nw_src=10.0.0.1/32,nw_dst=10.0.0.1/32,action=?

The manual page says:

    multipath(fields, basis, algorithm, n_links, arg, dst[start..end])

    Hashes fields using basis as a universal hash parameter, then the
    applies multipath link selection algorithm (with parameter arg) to
    choose one of n_links output links numbered 0 through n_links minus
    1, and stores the link into dst[start..end], which must be an NXM
    field as described above.

    Currently, fields must be either eth_src or symmetric_l4 and
    algorithm must be one of modulo_n, hash_threshold, hrw, and
    iter_hash. Only the iter_hash algorithm uses arg.

"one of n_links output links numbered 0 through n_links minus 1", which
links? Does it mean all ports? If yes, then what if it is the wrong port
that does not lead to the destination? If the algorithm keeps track of
the correct links that will lead to the destination what is the use of
this parameter?
What is dst[start..end]? would you give an example?
what is *symmetric_l4?* there is no definition for it in this manual?