[ovs-discuss] Trunk port

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Mar 20 16:13:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 03:09:12PM +0530, sonny sonny wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using OVS 1.2.2 and have one OVS machine with two VMs.
> Following commands I have used -
>
>  Create an OVS bridge:
>  ovs-vsctl add-br br0
>
> Add eth0 to the bridge
> ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0
>
> Add VM1 as an “trunk port” on VLAN 2:
> ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet0 trunks=2
>
> Add VM2 on VLAN 2:
> ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet1 trunks=2
>
> now when I am sending tag 2 ping request packet from VM1 to VM2 ( by
> traffic generator) , then ping reply is not coming.
> Please correct me where I am wrong.

If you add those as trunk ports, then the VMs have to add the tags
themselves.  Did you do this?  It involves the "vconfig" utility (or
"ip link add link type vlan").

If you want OVS to automatically tag those packets, then you want
access ports instead.  Here are the commands that you would use:
        ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet0 tag=2
        ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vnet1 tag=2