[ovs-discuss] Questions on PVLAN behavior with Cisco switch

Benoît Canet benoit.canet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:08:45 UTC 2012

Hi Mehak,

Yes it does. The mac learning will still work.
> I am not sure I completely understand what you meant by broadcast pvlan on
> trunks.
> If a packet comes in on an isolated port and needs to be sent to a
> promiscuous port, the packet will be sent out with the primary VLAN.
> On the other hand if the packet needs to be sent out a regular trunk port,
> it will be sent with the original incoming VLAN.

I was thinking about the following sequence with multiple
virtualizers connected to Cisco switches via 802.1q trunks.

1) A vm in <40,41> send a packet which cross multiple trunks (One between
the virtualizer and the Cisco and another between two Cisco).
2) It finally reach the router which is behind a promiscious port belonging
to pvlan 40.
3) The router send it's reply.

As multiple virtualizer are trunked to the same Cisco switch will the reply
packet be transferred only once to the right virtualizer ?

Best regards

Benoît